IHS Class of 1911
LEWIS P. JONES, M. D.
The following excerpt about Dr. Jones was taken from the "History of the Mohawk Valley, Gateway to the West," 1614-1925, Volume 4 edited by Nelson Greene, S. J. Clarke, 1925 - see snippet view on google books
LEWIS P. JONES, M. D.
Dr. Lewis P. Jones, one of the best known of the younger physicians practicing in the Mohawk valley and a veteran of the World war with an overseas record, has become well established in practice at Ilion, where he has been thus engaged since the completion of his military service following the close of the war. He is a native son of the Mohawk valley, born in the city of Utica, July 23, 1893, and is a son of Robert and Margaret (Parry) Jones, both of whom are of Welsh birth, the latter a native of Bulchwynn. They are now living in Ilion, where they have made their home for many years. Robert Jones was born in the important manufacturing center of Wrexham in Denbighshire, North Wales, where he was reared. When he had attained his majority he came to this country and located in Utica. Two years later he was joined there by Margaret Parry, to whom he had plighted his troth before leaving Wales, and they were married in Utica, where for some years thereafter they made their home. He then moved to Ilion, where he became engaged in mercantile business, proprietor of a five-and-ten-cent store, and for twenty years was thus engaged. Of late years he has been employed at clerical work in the office of the Remington Typewriter Company of Ilion. He and his wife have three children, Dr. Jones having a brother, Dr. Edward M. Jones, and a sister, Mrs. Ellen Jane Roberts, the latter of whom now is living at Columbus, Ohio, where both she and her husband are professional musicians, he a pianist and choral director and she a soprano soloist. Dr. Edward M. Jones was graduated from Syracuse University in 1922, with the degree of Bachelor of Science and in 1924 received from the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia his medical degree and is now engaged in practice.
Reared in Ilion, to which place his parents had moved when he was a child, Lewis P. Jones was graduated from the high school there in 1911. Having then determined to take up the study of medicine he took preparatory studies along that line and then entered the Homeopathic Medical College of New York and in 1916 was graduated from that institution. Upon receiving his diploma Dr. Jones was appointed to an internship in the Hahnemann Hospital at New York, where he received a year of intensive practical experience in the profession to which he had devoted himself, thus serving at the time this country entered the World war in the spring of 1917. He proffered his services in behalf of the Medical Corps of the army and in that same year received a commission as a first lieutenant in that corps. Thus commissioned he was assigned to the One Hundred and Eighth Ambulance Company of the Twenty-seventh Division and after a period of preliminary service on this side sailed on July 1, 1918, for France, his detachment having been ordered to overseas service. After eight months' service abroad, or until after the close of the war, Dr. Jones returned to the home land and on April 4, 1919, at Camp Upton (New York) received his honorable discharge. Upon the completion of his military service Dr. Jones became engaged in the practice of medicine at Ilion and has since been located there, with offices at No. 68 West street. The Doctor is a member of the American Institution of Homeopathy, vice president of the New York State Society of Industrial Surgeons, having given particular attention to the practice of industrial surgery; is president of the Utica Homeopathic Club, a member of the Herkimer County Medical Society and is also affiliated with the New York State Medical Society. He is a Freemason, affiliated with Ilion Lodge, No. 591, A. F. and A. M., is an active and influential member of the Ilion Chamber of Commerce and of the Exchange Club of that place and is a member of the First Presbyterian church of Ilion. He and his wife are republicans and give proper attention to local civic affairs. Referring back to the Doctor's World war service, it is proper to state, as a matter of record, that during his overseas service he participated in several of the most important campaigns of the closing period of that great war, including the AisneMarne offensive, St. Mihiel, the Argonne offensive and the Somme offensive, and thus came into personal contact with the real horrors of war.
On January 28, 1918, in New York city, Dr. Lewis P. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Cady and to this union two children have been born, both sons: Lewis P., Jr., born on March 23, 1919; and Willis Robert Jones, born April 19, 1923. Mrs. Jones was born in Middlebury, Vermont, April 18, 1893, and is a daughter of Willis N. and Martina (Hammond) Cady, both of whom were also born in Middlebury, members of old families there, and are still residing in that city. Willis N. Cady has for many years been one of the leading men of affairs in his district, is the present deputy road commissioner for the state of Vermont and has served his district both in the senate and in the house of representatives of the general assembly of that state, besides holding at one time and another various other offices of trust and responsibility. He and his wife have two daughters, Mrs. Jones having a sister, Mrs. Mildred Eston, wife of Douglas Eston of Spencer, Massachusetts. Douglas Eston is treasurer of the Groat Shoe Company of Spencer. He and his wife have a son, Douglas, Jr. Mrs. Jones is a graduate and professional nurse and thus is a very real helpmate to her husband in the exercise of the exacting duties of his profession. She was graduated from the Middlebury high school in 1911 and then took two years of college work in Middlebury College, after which she entered the Nurses School of Hahnemann Hospital of New York city, was graduated from that institution in 1916 and was practicing her profession in New York when she met and married Dr. Jones. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Ilion and is one of the active members of the Mohawk Valley Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, in the affairs of which patriotic organization she takes an earnest interest.
Utica Herald Dispatch November 29, 1918
"First Lieut. Dr. Lewis P. Jones, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Jones, 335 Otsego Street, who enlisted in the Twenty-seventh Division of the New York National Guard when the war broke out has written a most interesting letter to his parents. Dr. Jones has been In France since last April."
Dr. Lewis P Jones was discharged from the Army on April 4, 1919. He returned to Ilion and opened a medical office at 122 Morgan Street. Dr. Jones and his family resided in a house at 68 West Street; between the Knights of Columbus and the Annunciation School. Dr. Jones retired in 1960 after 44 years in medical practice. He sold his house to the Annunciation parish and retired to Florida. His West Street home temporarily housed the Sisters of Mercy while the new convent was being built in 1962.
Dr. Jones died on February 6, 1978 at the age of 86 in St. Petersburg, Florida. His wife, Eliza (Cady) Jones died on December 14, 1989 in St. Petersburg, Fl. She was 96 years old. They are buried in the Foote Street Cemetery, Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont.
The Lewis children
Lewis Parry Jones, Jr., was born on March 23, 1919 and graduated with the IHS class of 1936. He graduated from Norwich University in 1940 and served with the Army during World War II. He died July 4, 1995. He was predeceased by his wife Diane C. Hickey on December 30, 1991.
Willis Robert Jones, was born on April 19, 1923 and graduated with the IHS Class of 1941.
Their only daughter, Eiluned, was born in 1929 and graduated from Ilion High School in 1946. She attended the Women's College at the University of Rochester where she participated in synchronized swimming to raise funding for a pool (1). She earned a degree in 1950. She then attended Penn State University to acquire a certification Occupational Therapy. She married Kenneth White, a banker, in Illion New York on September 11, 1950. They moved to California. After they divorced, she married Ralph Brancen Green, a contractor at the State Hospital where she worked as an Occupational Therapist and had 2 children. After they divorced, she had 1 child and married his father, Harold Burke Froneberger. Eiluned died on August 18, 1981 and is buried in the family plot in Foote Street Cemetery, Middlebury, Vermont.
Created and maintained by Aileen Carney Sweeney - Class of 1974
Digital Image Copyright & Copyright © 1997 - 2022 ilionalumni.com