IHS Class of 1897
Charles Joseph Diss M. D.
Dr. Charles Joseph Diss was born in Ilion on March 14, 1880. He was the son of Louise P. Diss and Elizabeth Grosbean Diss. He graduated from Ilion High school in 1897 along with two other future classmate doctors; Dr. Harry H. Halliwell and Dr. Aron Comstock. He received his doctor of medicine degree from Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn in 1901. He returned to Ilion and set up his medical practice in his hometown. Dr. Diss would serve the community for over 50 years and left a large financial endowment that made possible the Diss Athletic Complex.
The Red Cross Hospital in Ilion
1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic
Just a few years prior to the Influenza Epidemic, Dr. Charles Joseph Diss, IHS 1897, had been active in the establishment of the Ilion Hospital. He was the first physician to treat the first patient in the Ilion hospital. Additionally, he was a leader in the setting up an emergency Red Cross Hospital to treat victims of the 1918 epidemic. The temporary hospital was located at the former Calder home (later the W. E Best home), at 28 Prospect Avenue. "Here were brought the most critical cases, forty-eight in all. Of these, only three were fatal."
Dr. Diss's expertise was very much needed in 1918. He maintained his practice of medicine and surgery in his Ilion office located in the Bedway Block. For over ten years, he acted as trolley surgeon. He established the first aid department in the Library Bureau of Remington Rand where many flu victims probably first received treatment. He also was in charge of accident cases at the Remington Arms Plant. Lastly, Dr. Diss examined many of our local draftees in World War I and World War II.
Dr. Charles Diss was born in Ilion on March 14. 1860, a son of Louis P. and Elizabeth (Grosbean) Diss. He practiced medicine, in his hometown, for over 50 years. He died, after a long illness, on February 10, 1953 at the age of 72. He is buried in Armory Hill Cemetery. He bequeathed a large financial sum to the School District for an athletic facility. The Diss Athletic complex is named in honor of alumnus, Dr. Charles Joseph Diss. - Utica Daily Press - February 11, 1953
Dr. Charles J. Diss IHS 1897
Distinguished Alumnus - Humanitarian/Community Service Achievement - Professional/Career Achievement
In March 2019, Dr. Charles Joseph Diss was inducted into the Alumni Hall of Fame for Distinguished Alumnus - Humanitarian/Community Service Achievement - Professional/Career Achievement.
Valley Mourns Death of Dr. Diss
Feburary 10, 1953
Ilion lost a much loved and friend and doctor by the death of Charles Joseph L. Diss. He was born Ilion the son of Louise P. Diss and Elizabeth Grosbean Diss on March 14, 1880.
He graduated from Ilion High School in June, 1897 and in the that year entered Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn, in which he graduated in 1901 and interned for two years in Faxton Hospital, Utica and Long Island College Hospital.
He opened an office in the Redway block for the practice of medicine and surgery.
He was trolley surgeon 10 years. He was an enthusiastic worker for the establishment of Ilion Hospital and had the distinction of having the first patient in the hospital.
He established the First Aid Department in Library Bureau of Remington Rand and during World War I was in charge of accident cases at the Remington Arms which at that time had 10,000 employees. He also examined draftees during World War I and II.
During the influenza epidemic of 1918-1919, he was instrumental in helping the Red Cross Hospital in the former Calder home.
In 1951, he was honored by the Medical Society of the State of New York for 50 years of service to the public.
Dr. Diss was a member of the American Medical Association, The medical Society of the State of New York, the Herkimer county Medical Society, Masonic Lodge No. 591 F. & A. M., Ilion Lodge of I.O.O.F., Ilion Fish and Game Club, The Community Club and The Conversation Club of Ilion.
Dr. Diss served on various village boards. It was characteristic of him always to be interested in any project concerned with the improvement of Ilion.
In 1907, he married Constance Barker of Sidney, NY, who survives him together with his sister-in-law, Olive Gordon Barker and a a cousin D. B. Diss of Short Hills, New Jersy.
Services were held Thursday, Feb. 12, 2 P.M. at the Whiter Funeral Home, Rev. Ernest B. Pugh, Rector of St. Augustine Episcopal Church officiating.
A Deserved Tribute
Dr. C. J. Diss
Whereas, God in His infinite wisdom has seen fit to call to the Great Beyond, our colleague, Dr. Charles Joseph Diss, on February 9, 1963, and
Whereas, Dr. Diss has practiced medicine and surgery in Ilion for 50 years and was associated in the original establishment of the Ilion Hospital and has been on its Medical Staff ever since it was built in 1909 and
Whereas, during this period he has contributed much to its success and cared for many of our local citizens, rich and poor alike, of all creeds without stinting of his time or resources, and
Whereas, he has served in the various offices of the Medical Staff and his passing will leave us with a distinct loss
Therefore, be it resolved that his resolution be spread uon the minutes of the Medical Staff of the Ilion Hospital as a memorial to Dr. Diss and a copy of this resolution forwarded to his family and to the local newspapers.
ILION HOSPITAL MEDICAL STAFF.
Mrs. Diss, Widow of Physician, Dies
The Herkimer Evening Telegram March 28, 1966
Mrs. Constance B. Diss, 37 West St., widow of Dr. C. Joseph Diss, a practicing physician in this village for more than 50 years, died yesterday in her home.
Born in Sidney, she was graduated from Sidney High School. In 1907, she was married to Dr. Diss. He died in 1953.
Mrs. Diss also graduated from Middlebury College, Middlebury, Vt. with a bachelor of science degree. She attended Albany stat Teachers College following graduation and taught science in Ilion High School for several years.
Mrs. Diss was a member of St. Augustine's Episcopal Church, Order of Eastern Star, Morgan Street PTA, Ilion Travelers' Club and served as secretary-treasurer of the former Public Health Nurse Board.
Rev. Robert Withington, St. Augustine's Episcopal Church rector, will conduct services at 1:30 tomorrow from Whiter-Hendrix Funeral Home. Burial will be in Armory Hill Cemetery. Friends may call at their convenience..
Diss Estate Progress Reviewed at IHS Meet
The Herkimer Evening Telegram - March 22, 1974
"A progress report on steps toward obtaining the $100,000 Diss Memorial Fund for construction of an athletic field was heard during a meeting of the Ilion Central School board of education last night."
Warren Lennox, board member and George Anderson, school board president, represented the school board on the committee. James Spellman and Joseph Kinney, Village Trustees, represented the village board. Frank Dolan of Ilion, who was county highways superintendent and engineer, was hired to do the preliminary engineering work that had been done on test borings taken on an field on Philips Street.
Upon his death in 1953, Dr. Charles Joseph Diss left the $100,000 fund, which grew to $130,000, to the school district and Village of Ilion for an athletic facility that would benefit the residents and the school district. The proposal for the athletic facility had to be approved by Surrogates Court.
Dedication is Sept. 17
The Utica Observer Dispatch - August 19, 1980
Six years after the preliminary engineering studies were started, The Diss Athletic Complex was completed. The complex was ready in time to be the site of the June 1980 graduation ceremonies. The official dedication was scheduled for September 17, 1980 which was also the fall homecoming football game with New Hartford.
Created and maintained by Aileen Carney Sweeney - Class of 1974
Digital Image Copyright & Copyright © 1997 - 2021 ilionalumni.com